Sunday, June 30, 2013

112 Combined Years of Vintage Vacuum-ness!

Today, mostly for fun (and why do something that makes you sad, I say), and partly because I needed to clean, I broke out my two favorite vintage Electrolux models, the 88 2nd version and the 55 1st version, respectively.

As I've said before, for hard surface dusting and bare floors, a massive amount of suction isn't needed, and, even though these machines are not as powerful as modern Electrolux/Aerus models, they do the job just fine, with less power consumed, and with considerably less noise. These machines are really astoundingly quiet, the 88 being somewhat more so than the 55. I can only imagine how someone who is used to more modern vacuums would react after hearing one of these running. Of course, if you add on the power nozzle, it becomes moot, as Electrolux power nozzles have never really been quiet. In addition to this, I used the 55 to vacuum the 88 after filter, and the 88 to vacuum the 55 cloth bag and after filter.

Note: This particular 88 (I have three) has the "Electrolux" logo stamped on both sides of the plug, as opposed to all the other 80 series machines I have or have seen, which have the logo only on one side. Completely random? Who knows?

Incidentally, I think the 88 2nd version and the 55 1st version are positively gorgeous machines, quite close to the first Renaissance in the looks department. It's a great pity they aren't as useful as the latter, for, on the rare occasions I use a vintage Electrolux, I can't get past the short cord, lack of fingertip power controls, lack of variable speed suction, and lack of on board/lock fit attachments. Sad, but true. However, as I pointed out before, different eras mean different levels of technology and performance, so it's not completely fair to compare vacuums like this. All of my models have their pros and cons (yes, even the newer ones, which I love using!), and the 55 and 88 are fine vacuums which do exactly what they're supposed to, quietly and efficiently.

For the carpet, I used my go-to boy, the Lux 6000. What else is new?





No comments:

Post a Comment