Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How Now, Brown Cow

When I was going to vacuum the downstairs the other day, I thought I'd break out a vintage machine and put it through its paces, not least because motors need to be run regularly to avoid seizing up and drying out. I decided to use the AP280, and now, after a couple of days of cleaning duty, he gets a feature in Eluxurious.

The Electrolux AP280 was made in Canada by Electrolux Canada, from 1980-ish - 1982. It was the first ever Electrolux (in North America, at least...not sure about other countries) to have a variable speed motor; in this case, two-speed, and this definitely makes it a standout model. It's also arguably the nicest looking of the 1970's AP Series, in elegant chocolate brown with ivory trimmings. 

Here are some shots of the AP280. First, the entire* ensemble, including the original hose, power nozzle, dusting brush, upholstery tool, crevice tool, floor brush, and attachment caddy**. 



Top view. The AP280 was the last of this type before the more recognizable E2000 came out (the design and style of which is more or less identical today, except for mechanics). That said, the design of subsequent models didn't change ALL that much. 



Logos:





Closer view of top deck with filter cover latch, motor speed selector switch, automatic bag-full shutoff dial, power available light, and no-bag/full-bag light. Note the little "Elux" logo: on the previous AP100 and AP200, this is where the no-bag/full-bag red light was.



Power available light. This comes on when the machine is plugged in, but goes off when it is switched on. Later lights simply stayed on at all times when the machine was plugged in and/or running.



No-bag/full bag light. Works exactly the same as all the other models...if you try to start the motor without a bag present, the light will come on, and when the bag is full, the motor will shut off and the red light will come on.



Inside of bag door. Note the older style connectors for the electric hose/wand/power nozzle. The serial number indicates it was made in 1982.



Another full-on shot. I used this to do the carpet, minus the dreadful original hose (although this does have the trigger switch and sliding suction vent). The power nozzle is identical to the American power nozzle of the time, which I think was the PN2, except for the logo strip. In fact, the color combo of the AP280 is identical to its American contemporary, the Olympia. 



I believe I got the AP280 with all of its accoutrements from a fellow collector, but my memory doesn't always serve me well :) It's a great vacuum, and holds its head up high even against today's models, with the additional benefits of being quieter and using less power. When I was younger, I saw quite a few of these. In fact, of the five houses on my side of the street, there were 2 AP280's (and, incidentally, an AP100!). In another case, which sufficiently illustrates how deficient my childhood memories are in terms of anything other than vacuum cleaners, I recall watching a cleaner vacuuming a hospital waiting room with an AP280, somewhere around 1983-4. I was there to visit my grandmother, but remember nothing except the AP280. 

*I believe the carpet nozzle and sprayer, along with other possible accessories, were optional by this time. 

**As can be seen on Doug Smith's site, some of these caddies were in brown as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment