Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Blaze of Christmas Cheer and a Great Childhood Memory

The ZB86, or Z86, or 86 2nd version has a special place in my 'vacuum heart', as its the first ever Electrolux I ever laid eyes on. I was a wee lad of 4 or 5, and every time I went to my grandparents' house, I would see the 86. Actually, they had two of them: one was the primary (upstairs) vacuum, and the other was used mainly downstairs, or in the shed by my grandfather as a shop-vac. I don't recall the year of manufacture of these models, but as my grandparents moved house in the year I was born (1972), and had owned both of these machines before that, they could have been made anywhere between 1963-7.

I only recall seeing one set of matching attachments for the 86s anywhere in my grandparents' house, in the cardboard handikit. I also recall two hoses, one with the metal end, and the other with the plastic handgrip. In 1972, my grandparents purchased a green electric hose, green telescopic wand, green PN IV, and green B-21 shampooer/polisher, all of which obviously matched the 89. The red hoses and attachments, after this, went by the wayside, I suppose, as I mainly remember the green add-ons. I have no idea if the two 86s already had power nozzle connections in the carrying handles, or if they were upgraded along with the add-ons.

I'm happy to have two 86s in my collection, although both are in pieces. The rubber ring around the motor housing has deteriorated in both, and both have no suction. I suppose I might find some replacement parts myself and get them put back together one of these days.

A picture of one of my 86s, the very day I got it from a fellow collector:



And now, particularly appropriate for the holidays, is the configuration I remember best from my early years:





A weird color combination, but very user-friendly.

Here is the 86 with his top-of-the-line older brother, the 88. The 86 looks a little bigger, because of its placement on the shelf and the angle, but its actually slightly smaller, because of the lack of the automatic bag shut-off machinery inside the front cover.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Bob: I enjoyed reading this blog post and seeing the photos of your Electrolux 86 vacuum. I too am fond of vintage vacuums, and today I acquired an old Electrolux Elux 86 vacuum at a garage sale, which looks identical to the red/cream coloured unit you show above. Around five years ago I restored a 1970-vintage Compact vacuum that had belonged to my grandmother. However, the vacuum I grew up with was an Electrolux (newer than the ones shown on this page) and I am excited at the possibility of perhaps restoring this Elux 86. Can you recommend an online supplier of replacement parts, filter bags, etc. for this vacuum? I am not sure what one might find at this point, but I do know that Compact/Tristar vacuums are well supported in Canada and I was amazed at the range of replacement parts for those older vacuums; perhaps Electrolux vacuums are similarly well served? Thanks in advance for your reply.

    Sincerely, Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carl. Thanks for the comments, and for having a look at my blog. Congratulations on your acquisition. The 86 is a fine vacuum.

    The 86 takes Electrolux 'Style C' bags. Are you in Canada? If so, these are readily available at hardware stores and supermarkets, or eBay and Amazon, which is where I buy mine. There's an eBay store, 'American Vacuum Supply’ with good prices on bulk packages of bags.

    Filters...I have yet to find them at Aerus depots and online, but all I do is buy Renaissance/Epic 8000 (Style R) after filters, which are just flat, square filters, and cut them to fit the 86. Works very well. Try a store called ‘Life Supply USA’ on eBay; I’ve had good experiences with them in the past.

    Did the machine come with a hose, and, if so, is it in good condition? If not, it's possible to create a new hose for the 86. If your 86 doesn’t have a plug in the carrying handle for a power nozzle, or if you're just using it for bare floors and dusting, you can cut off an old hose (with the metal ball bearing-type vacuum connector) at the end that connects to the vacuum, and glue the end to an Electrolux upright hose (which you can most certainly buy on eBay). I literally took a hacksaw, cut the old hose very close to the metal machine end, got a screwdriver and gouged out the remaining hose material that was glued on to the connector, and then glued the connector on to the machine end of the new hose. If you want to create an electric hose to use a power nozzle, I can point you to this thread, which has a series of pictures of the process:

    http://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?5659

    Any of the standard Electrolux attachments will work with the 86. I just use the combination dusting brush/upholstery tool, crevice tool, plastic wands, and bare floor brush that come with the bottom of the line modern Electroluxes.

    As for motor and body parts, I have yet to find a supplier, either through Aerus or online, although, depending on where you are, you might find an Aerus depot that has some old parts hanging around. My experience with Aerus is that they'll always try to sell you something new, rather than wasting time on something so old (naturally for them, I guess). Is your 86 in good running condition, with no funny noises, and strong suction at the vacuum end? It should be, by the way, VERY quiet.

    Lots of luck, and enjoy using and working on the 86,
    Bob


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob: thanks for your reply. Yes, my 86 does run and has decent suction. You are right—it is very quiet indeed. The unit appears to have the original hose but lacks any wands or floor attachments. I am in Canada and I believe that some local vacuum supply/repair shops in my town will have the bags and one shop might even have a filter . We'll see what happens.

    Thanks again.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete