Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Discovering the Dirt

Presenting the Electrolux Discovery III upright vacuum cleaner, made between 1987-9, if memory serves. I paid all of $30 for this old boy (machine only), and I'm quite glad I did, because it started off my love affair with Electrolux and Aerus uprights.



I got this model by answering a local classified ad that read "Electrolux vacuum, $30". Well, it could have been anything, and, at first, I wanted to say no when I found out it was an upright, but how could I go wrong for $30?

I believe this is one of the earlier models made, because the cord is permanently attached. Eventually, the cord became removable, apparently to facilitate the addition of the port for the cord and the Sidekick plug, which became available as an optional add-on (see note 7 here).

Its not in perfect shape; the bearings are a bit dry, and I need to get them replaced sometime soon, but it still works and sucks fine. The hand grip is ever-so-slightly loose, and there is a small bald spot on the cord, but for a 23-25 year old machine, you can't expect perfection. The two gray Epic 3500s I have came to me in much worse shape with regards to cords and handles. This lovely Discovery III is in all original condition, and I have no problems with putting a little money into it to bring it back to top operating condition.

Plugged in and ready to clean. Keeping in mind the above-mentioned bearing issue, the Discovery III does an excellent job at cleaning; not as good as its successors, but still quite good.



Attachments + cardboard kit. I bought this separately, from another local seller, so I'm not exactly sure if this is original to the Discovery III, or the other Discovery models (II, Advantage, and Plus). At any rate, everything fits, matches, and works.



Side view of attachment kit with contents. I wonder how much this kit was to buy separately?



There was a certain 1980's action or science fiction movie that had opening credits like this...it may have been "Superman". A bit gaudy, but very 1980's. Based on the brown and beige colors, I'd say the Discovery III was issued along with the System 90 and LE, both of which were also brown and beige.


There you have it...the Electrolux Discovery III upright vacuum cleaner, Model 1572E. My first ever Electrolux upright, and therefore a special model in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment