Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Beautiful Blaze of Red



Presenting the made in Canada by Electrolux Canada ZB88, or Z88, or 88, vacuum cleaner, made in two versions between 1957 - 1967. I'm happy to own examples of both versions...the one in the middle is the first version, from 1961, and the left and right are examples of the second version, from 1965 and 1963 respectively. This is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, my favorite vintage Electrolux, and is in a near tie with the first Renaissance as my favorite Electrolux of all time.


The first version was the first Canadian machine with:
  • paper Style C bags
  • bag-full automatic shutoff system, and
  • fully integrated* automatic cord winder

The second version was the first to feature:
  • the power nozzle. The first power nozzle was exactly like the American one...permanently connected to its own long plastic wand, with a cord on the outside of the hose. Later, the power nozzle got its own, detachable elbow and electric telescopic wand, but I'm not quite sure if this development happened with the 88, or the subsequent 89.
  • rubber wraparound furniture bumper
  • the telescopic wand. The 88 was certainly the first to feature the non-electric telescopic wand, but, as mentioned above, the electric version may have come after the 89 came out.
  • the electric hose handle with trigger on-off switch. Again, this may be a "retrofit" after the introduction of the 89.
All three of these machines have their original cords, and two still have the original plug. I have a full set of standard attachments in their "Handikit", and original hoses and wands as well, although these don't get used. The only thing I don't have is the original power nozzle; they are somewhat rare, and I've never seen one in person.

Original plug, with stamped "Electrolux" logo and bulb stopper:



Some personal observations about this model:

  • The 80 series (83, 86, 88, 86 Mk.II, 88 Mk.II, 87, 89) is arguably the quietest set of vacuum cleaners ever made, with the exception of a non-electric carpet sweeper. The sound of the motor gets drowned out by the cyclone rush of air through the hose, wands, and attachments. You could, as they say, run one of these in a sleeping baby's room while having a telephone conversation, and not notice.
  • Despite the quiet sound, the 88 is very powerful, with plenty of suction and airflow, produced from a 5 amp motor. I'd say it could hold its own with any machine that says "12 amps of cleaning power".
  • In the looks department, all I can say is that I think if it wasn't for the first Renaissance, this would still be the best looking Electrolux of all time. The dark red, cream, and silver combination is absolutely beautiful. Incidentally, I like the 2nd version better than the 1st...the addition of the wraparound bumper and the positioning of the "Electrolux" logo gives it an extra dash of style.
Some differences between the first and second versions:

1. front door: 2nd version on the left, 1st version on the right. The "88" clearly needed to be moved due to the addition of the wraparound bumper. The automatic shutoff control knob on the 1st version is the same as those used on the contemporary American models.



2. side bumper and logo:

1st:



2nd:



Attachments: Canadian models up until the 2100 always had a full set of dedicated attachments, stored in a kit (first of cardboard, as seen here, and then plastic). Incidentally, the 88 (and earlier Canadian models) featured an astounding array of optional attachments and accoutrements that I'd love to have. I do actually have a sprayer and vaporizer for the 88s, but these are not pictured here.



Filter: As noted above*, the cord winder is technically not fully integrated, as it can be opened to install an after filter. Depending on who you ask, the after filter for these models is no longer made. I have, in the past, cut a Style R after filter to the right size, and it works fine.



Bag chamber "basket". This configuration seems to produce quite a bit of airflow.



Purely for the fun of it, some shots of the 88 with his "brothers and cousins". Perhaps its silly to personalize vacuum cleaners, but people do it all the time with other objects.

The 88 and his younger brother, the 89:



The American cousin Model G comes for a visit.



The full lineup. If you have an 88 with an updated, airtight hose and updated attachments, you have an amazing cleaning system that can hold its own with many modern cleaners, including all the modern Electrolux and Aerus models, and that's saying something!


12 comments:

  1. I have both of these (88 and 89) but my partner is forcing me to sell them as we have 3 other newer electrolux models, plus another modern vacuum, and no room or need for them, but I am sad... I had a lovely cream and red one I already left behind when I moved, and used it in one of my photographs- https://flic.kr/p/jfcAYH

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, how do you know the dates they were made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn. The cream and red 86 and the red 88 were made between the years of 1957-67, and the 89 came after, from 1967-73. All of them are extremely quiet and powerful vacuums, and rank high in my favourite Electroluxes.

      Delete
  3. Hi!

    I also have a later model 88 with the cream bumpers, original hose, and most of the attachments, and an 89 with the power nozzle. They are incredible machines. I can fire either of them up and cover the hose inlet with my hand and the suction power will then allow me to pull the cleaner along a carpeted floor. They are also extremely quiet.

    Sadly both my hoses are less than airtight but I'm investigating several methods for sealing them better. Even with the leaks they do about as good a job as my previous modern vac, a Dyson Animal DC63. There's 40 years between the two.

    Can't beat that.Oh except that I didn't pay for either of them. Vacuum shops in my area often give me these things as they're no longer encouraging customers to repair them or keep them. Parts getting harder to source they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I couldn't agree more about the 88 and 89, and all the other machines in the 80 series. A real high point for Electrolux, in my opinion.

      Re: hoses. Same as yourself, I've found that even my somewhat leaky hoses perform fairly well. If you happen to have a spare hose end (the end that attaches to the machine), you can cut that off, and glue it onto a new hose (in my case, I just used a spare Electrolux upright non-electric hose). Works like a charm, and gives the machines full suction. You can do the same with the electric hose for the 89 (if that's what you have), and a newer Electrolux/Aerus electric hose.

      Happy Electroluxing,
      Bob

      Delete
  4. fantastic blog on Electrolux vacuum built for a life time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just recently picked up a beaten up used ZB88. I'd like to know how (if at all) to open it up and do some maintenance on the inside of the body. I want to remove the bag chamber "basket" and possibly remove the motor for a good proper cleaning. Is this possible? Did you do that with your ZB88 (I have the 2nd version with the white bumper). Also, how did you get yours to look so good? Mine has dulled chrome, and the white bumper is more of a creamy beige. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to its original lustre and shine??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Not sure if I was successful at posting a comment, so I'm giving it a 2nd try. I recently picked up an beaten up used ZB88, and I would like to open it up to give it some much needed love and attention. Is there a method to getting inside one of these? I'd like to remove the bag "basket" and wash it well, I'd like to also take the motor out and try to clean that as well. What's the best way to approach such a task? Also, how did you get your zb88 (I have the 2nd version with the white bumper) so clean and shiny? The white bumper on mine is a creamy beige, and the chrome on my zb88 is dull and doesn't shine like yours! What product(s) did you use to get it to look so good?? ---Thanks, Chad L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chad. It’s been years since I’ve dismantled an 80 series, so I’ll cast my mind back. If you open the blower section of the machine and hinge it downward, you’ll see four screws on the back. Take those out, gently pry out the grill with a flat-bladed screwdriver, and the motor is accessible. The trim on the top under the switch and the handle can be removed by taking out the three screws. As for the bag basket, if I recall correctly, I removed the screw in the top end of the handle trim, then gently pried the trim around the bag door off with a flat-bladed screwdriver, and the basket and the interior of the bag chamber were accessible. I think if you document every stage of your dismantling with pictures, you should be fine, but please do be careful.

    As for exterior cleaning, I use a Turtle Wax (or similar brand) car wash liquid in water on the entire body, and then a towel dry. For the chrome trim, I use Mother’s Mag and Aluminum Polish with fine (0000, if I remember correctly) steel wool, and perhaps a paper towel to wipe down any residue afterwards. For the rubber and plastic bits, including the wheels and cord/plug, I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser first, then wipe with a damp paper towel or cloth, then dry, and then a shine with Armor-All. The bumper/switch/handle/logos colour, by the way, is cream, not pure white. Classiest Electrolux ever, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the tips, Bob. I will be very careful (if I attempt to do what you said in the above reply). I only have the 1 ZB88, so I don't want to hurry through this and possibly cause damage to it. It's significantly rusty on the inside of the body, so I'm concerned the rust is not easy to remove but I'll research that on my own. It's going to be a work in progress, I'm sure, taking my time step by step. If I come out the other end with positive results, I'll be sure to let you know how she turned out! ---Thanks, Chad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you could sand the rust off and put on a coat of rust paint. That's not something I've ever done myself; I'm terrible at painting. Good luck in your restoration, and let me know how things turn out.

      Delete