Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Work in Progress, Even Though Things Have Retrogressed

If Aerus Electrolux had made a few small changes to the Style R models, they would have been near perfect, as much as any vacuum can be perfect.

1. Thinner hose handle, wands, and power nozzle elbow. The existing system works fine, and is very adaptable, but it is a bit on the big side. A thinner diameter would have made attachment use much easier.

2. Thinner, recessed HEPA filter. Perhaps by their very nature, HEPA filters need to be big to accommodate the various odour-absorbing and particle capturing layers, I don't know. Indeed, the box filter seems to work quite well. Pity it gets in the way when trying to pick up the machine, and it interferes with the aesthetic flow of the machine. I have seen pictures of a thin, flat HEPA filter...I suppose this was some kind of early prototype, or perhaps a salesperson's demonstration filter?

I wonder if the company could have made a HEPA filter as thin as the Renaissance and Epic 8000 after filter? Then, they could have kept the configuration of those models, with even better filtration.

3. Variable (2?) speed power nozzle. I'm not sure if any vacuum cleaner has ever had a multi-speed brush roll, but I think it would be a great idea, especially for lightweight rugs. Even with the suction on low speed, the power nozzle can chew up small rugs.

I really can't think of any other "deficiencies" in the Style R models; as pointed out elsewhere in this blog, these are very nearly the only vacuums I use, other than the uprights.

This is my first post with the iPhone Blogger app...just wanted to give it a go. Posting with this app is surprisingly easy, actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment