Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Rug Doctor is On Call

I recently rented a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner to clean the living/dining room, as well as my sister's sofas. I must say, I'm impressed by the performance of these machines, and their ease of use. They really do make carpet and upholstery look almost new again, and the amount of brown water poured out from the recovery tank is astonishing, not to mention disgusting. Imagine spending all that time with that amount of dirt in your carpet and upholstery!

After giving the carpets a good working over, I connected an old Electrolux floor brush to the end of two wands, and ran it over the carpet, as if I was vacuuming it, to fluff it up a bit, and finally, after several hours of drying, I used the floor brush on the Shop Vac to pick up any leftover residue and/or surface moisture. As a final step, the morning after the cleaning, I gave the carpet a full-on Epic 3500-ing.

The Shop Vac. Not an Electrolux, but still a vital member of the household cleaning team. I've used this fellow for every dirty job imaginable, from unclogging sinks and vacuuming wet front porches in the winter, to clearing the front steps (in summer) from rocks and gardening debris. Oddly enough, I never use it in the car, unless the floors and/or mats happen to be wet. I always use one or another of the Aerus/Electroluxes.



Epic 3500. Possibly my favorite among the uprights I have, due to its near flawless, all-original cosmetic condition and excellent running condition.



Mind you, the results after all of this labor are not perfect. The carpet is a relatively old one, and has had and will continue to have a lot of traffic and spills, but it does look fresher and "fluffier".

Really, the Rug Doctor does such an impressive job that I'm half tempted to buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment