Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Mean Green Clean Machine



Presenting the ZB89, or Z89, or 89E, or, as far as I'm concerned, 89. Made in Canada by Electrolux Canada, this model was the top-of-the-line offering between 1967-73. I was born during its run, so it was utterly ubiquitous when I was young. I saw it everywhere...schools, stores, hospitals, homes, etc.

I have four of these, two of which are strictly for parts, and I have the owner's manual tucked away somewhere. Here is a full-on shot of the two machines with all the standard attachments, attachment caddy, electric hose, standard hose, hose cord, telescopic wand, and three different power nozzles. The model on the left also has the original plug with bulb stopper.



There isn't a great deal (at least in the motor unit) to distinguish the 89 from the 88, and in fact I think the 88 looks much better, but the accoutrements offered with the 89 set it above and beyond anything before it:

1. Electric hose: this was the first Electrolux with a hose with embedded wiring, totally eliminating the cord clipped to the exterior of the hose, and vastly improving its usability. The hose shown is actually not the first one that came with the 89; I believe the first had the same metal ball bearing end as the standard hoses, and a different weave pattern, as well as a dark green pistol grip, at least on some of them. As far as I know, the electric hose was first introduced in 1968.

Electric hose. Of course, the addition of the pigtail cord on the machine end means it can't swivel, but, what can you do? The fact that the business end swivels is pretty cool, for the late 60's.



The machine end still had a pigtail cord that plugged into the handle, which meant that this hose could be used with any of the 80 series machines. All that was needed was a new handle with a plug in it, and, in fact, I saw more than a few 83s, 86s, and 88s with the new (mismatched) green electric hose (one of my grandparents' 86 models had one). For example, if you owned an 88 (which never had an electric hose in matching red) and wanted to upgrade to the new electric hose, electric telescopic wand, and Canadian-made power nozzle, your cleaning ensemble might have looked something like this:


Not very attractive when everything is put together, is it?

When this hose became standard with the 89, around 1972 (?), the model became known as '89E' to distinguish it from earlier ones.

Serial number plate with "89E" notation:


Previous location of serial number (inside of bag door):




2. Electric, swivel, direct connect handle with trigger switch (see above picture of hose): this was, and still is, a revolutionary development. It's the direct precursor to the Epic style hose with the switch, and the Style R hoses with full power controls. I believe the contemporary US model 1205 featured this handle, as well as the telescopic wand, but they didn't catch on the US.

3. Electric, direct connect telescopic wand: the precursor to the vastly inferior sheath. It eliminated the wiring running down the outside of the wand, or the need to have separate power nozzle and accessory wands, and could be collapsed for storage. There was a red electric telescopic wand to match the red 80 series machines, but I'm not sure if this came first, or was a 'retrofit' after the green one.

Electric telescopic wand with power nozzles (PN II, III, and IV). The only real drawback to this wand is that the upper plastic part isn't reinforced; its simply a thin layer of plastic.



I can't understand why Electrolux eventually did away with items 2 and 3, which were infinitely more progressive, modern, and usable than what followed (and what is still used today on the Lux Classic). I also don't understand why they waited another decade to feature power controls on the hose handle.

The only other changes I can think of are these, and these are not necessarily revolutionary; merely different:



1. Plastic attachment caddy: more durable, certainly, than the prior cardboard. I'm not sure when this was introduced, but there was a cardboard caddy early in the run. There was also a dark green version of this. The attachments were largely the same, except for the fact that they changed from a spring clip to latch fittings, and the dusting brush, floor brush, and the elbow of the carpet nozzle were now made of plastic instead of metal.

2. The power nozzle (see above picture of power nozzles): the first 89 power nozzle was a copy of the American PN I (called 'PN II'), but the PN III (the only Electrolux PN to feature a brush roll height adjustment switch) and IV were totally Canadian. The PN III was the first to be able to stand upright. There was a power nozzle with the detachable elbow for the red 80 series machines, but I'm not sure if this came before the green ones or not.

3. The "dual-purpose" nozzle, for carpets and floors (see large tool on left in above picture). Kind of superfluous in view of the inclusion of the power nozzle, carpet nozzle, and floor brush.

4. The shag carpet nozzle. As far as I know, this was the first such nozzle on an Electrolux.

Standard (non-electric) hose. This must have been the first ever pistol grip handle the company made. The red 80 series machines also had a hose with this handle.


Side logo:



Front cover. Elux-o-matic!



Ready to do the carpet, with the PN II:


Floors:


(I should point out that I never use these hoses, wands, attachments, or power nozzles...they're strictly for "set completion" purposes. The hoses are especially useless, as are all of the other Electrolux braided hoses).

When I do use the 89, it looks like this:




The 89 is, leaving out the above refinements, every bit as quiet, powerful, and efficient as the 88 and other 80 series machines. The 88, however, as noted above, is considerably better looking, but you may disagree if you like dark green. Speaking of looks, there were minor cosmetic changes to the 89 over the years, as can be seen in the pictures. Some had the bare aluminum or chrome handle trim; on others, this was painted the same green as the body of the machine. There were two different styles of rear wheels as well.

Even though the 89 is not my favorite Electrolux, it does represent what Electrolux "is" to me in many ways, due to its prevalence when I was younger. I'd say that if you have an 89 in good shape, with a modern vinyl hose and updated attachments, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better (I said the very same thing about the 88).

18 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I just got an Elux-O-Matic 89E today at an estate sale for the amazing price of $10!
    I noticed though that the suction isn't the greatest. Barring any of the usual causes such a blockage, do you have any ideas what might cause poor suction? Was that common for this model?
    Also, I wondered why you commented that the braided hoses are useless? Mine has braided hoses. Just wondering what to expect out of this machine :-)
    Thank you,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline. The 89 should have very good suction. The first thing is to make sure you have a brand new (Style C) bag in there, as I assume you do. If so, then the problem might be in the hose. To check this, put the hose in the rear (blower) end of the machine, and hopefully anything stuck in there will blow out. If its a stubborn caught object, you could try running a toilet snake through the hose to dislodge it.

    Without having seen your machine, I would guess that the braided hose is the problem. Assuming you have the original green one that matched this machine, its most certainly worn out by now. The Electrolux braided hoses tended to wear out and break down over time, causing a significant drop in suction. However, it is possible to make a new hose for the 89. In fact, if you look at the last picture in this entry, you'll see my own 'homemade' hose. If you want to do this, let me know, and I can fill you in on how to do it. The 89, providing its running properly, is an extremely quiet and powerful machine; not as powerful as the modern ones, but still quite good, and quite useful as a regular vacuum.

    I made that comment on the braided hoses because, as I mentioned above, they tended to break down over time and reduce the suction, and therefore reduce the usefulness of the vacuum. I also find them stiff in everyday use. The newer vinyl hoses used on modern machines are much more flexible and don't seem to wear out as quickly as the old ones, although, of course, they aren't perfect.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi bob, we have this same model 89 in our cottage, I would love to know what you did to replace the hose yourself!

      Delete
    2. To Anonymous: I took the machine end from an old 89 hose I had and glued it on to the end of a hose that fits the older Electrolux/Aerus uprights. These latter hoses can be found for sale on eBay, or an Aerus repair depot might possibly have one hanging around. Take note that this isn't an electric hose, so it can't run the power nozzle.

      Delete
  3. I also have an 89E purchased about 20 years ago at an auction for $5cdn. I love this little beast. It served me and my family very well. Recently a visitor stepped on the plastic pistol grip, breaking it. I have been looking for a replacement hose and can't find one. What do you recommend? I have all the attachments you have in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. Long story short: Aerus (Electrolux) no longer makes new hoses for the 89. That said, if you have an Aerus depot nearby, its possible they could have an older but usable hose hanging around. As you can see in my picture, I made my own (non-electric) hose for the 89, from an old machine end connector and an Electrolux upright accessory hose. If you want to replace the electric hose so that you can use the power nozzle, its a little more involved, but not impossible. Have a look at this thread:

      http://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?5659

      Just a warning, though...I haven't gone through that process myself. If you do decide to do that, exercise the utmost caution.

      Another thought...is the end of your hose that connects to the machine like that in picture 3, or that in picture 9? If 9, I'm just thinking it MIGHT be possible to cut that end off the old hose, and glue it on an Electrolux/Aerus upright electric hose (which are still sold by Aerus). See this thread for a picture of the hose I'm talking about (the first picture):

      https://eluxurious.blogspot.ca/2012/03/cylinder-on-stick-with-power-nozzle.html

      This hose, assuming you can get it to fit the 89, should be just fine. I might try this myself and let you know.

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob. Thanks for your detailed and valuable information. The post on the vacuumland site which shows the two hoses side by side: my hose connects like the one on the right. I will call the Aerus store and see what they have. I am kicking myself because I had collected three of these machines (88 and 89) over the course of a summer at various auctions. I kept everything that was in the best condition to assemble a complete package, and sold the rest at a yard sale. Wishing now that I had kept them, but then, I am already something of a packrat. Appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. That's exactly the problem with the older Electroluxes...the vacuum lasts seemingly forever; the accessories and attachments don't. Best of luck in your quest to replace the hose; at least its doable with a little hunting down of parts. The last option I mentioned (converting the electric hose that comes with the uprights) may very well be the best option, but who knows?

      Bob

      Delete
  5. A tardy tip for Mary, try caĺling shops which do vacuum repair and deal in secondhand vacs, and they may have a surplus matching hose.

    I surfed in here with a handle problem on my 89e which I got from such a shop almost 30 years ago. The hose clogged, and after unsuccessful clearing with a toilet snake I was seduced by a Youtube video on how to remove the hose handle. Unfortunately I realized only halfway through that his hose model handle was different and just wiggles apart after removing the screw. On my 89, the trigger part is now part removed, held in only at the elbow, by what might be its own stubbornness, or might be some pin through the elbow (I now notice tiny holes on either side). I'd like to just put it back together, but the bottom piece with its tab feet is now outside, and right now I worry about breaking it and the trigger contacts. By chance would there be any online repair manual for this vintage? Posting anon because I have no login here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't even notice this comment...I used to be notified by email, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've never seen an online repair manual and/or directions for the 89 hose, and I don't dare take my own apart, as its in perfect vintage condition. One would think, though, that the trigger mechanism would just slide in, and then get screwed in, but I see your worry about breaking the whole thing.

      Delete
    2. To the Anonymous poster: I did run into a problem with something blocking my house so I took it into a shop. He said he could fix it, but every time I contacted him, it wasn't ready. After 6 months of bi-weekly phone calls, he said the item had been left too long, and couldn't be found. The ticket said they would not be responsible for items they had longer than 6 months old So now I am completely hoseless.

      Delete
    3. To Mary: Sorry to hear that happened. Is there anyone to report the loss to? It's hardly like you left it too long if they were fixing it. Hope you can get another one, or at least an end that connects to the machine so you can stick it on a new one. Good luck.

      Bob

      Delete
  6. I got my Electrolux ZB89 eluxomatic in May 2020 for 60$ works like new after a hose change new bag filters and spa day mine has the serial number in the bag door .
    Its sooo quiet yet powerfull and strong whit a vinyl hose anda power head borrowed from a dead ap200 not the right pn iknow ,i know but hey it works .
    If only Aerus supportedthsoe 80 series i could have the rear exzhaust filter i did cut one to fit the machine so far so good .And yes a proper vinyl hose will greatly improve the suction and airflow .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, the 80 series are fine vacuums; arguably the quietest ever made, except when you're using the power nozzle, and powerful enough to get the job done. At least the Renaissance/Epic 8000 after filters are still available to cut to size for the 80 series. I bought up a bunch in bulk for my own models, and can spare a few for the 80 series.

      Delete
    2. I live in Calgary ,Alberta, Canada and I use to sell the model 89. I now have five of these machines and two of them are
      complete in mint condition. If you go the the vacuum land site https://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?22656_24
      They tell you about a method to make your hose suck like new. using liquid latex.
      I tried it and it really does work. My hoses now have the same suction they had when they were new
      Dan Walker in Calgary

      Delete
    3. To Unknown: I have read about that method, but never tried it myself. I don’t use the 89 a lot, and when I do, it mostly gets used for bare floors and dusting. The original electric hose I have still has better than expected suction, so I sometimes break it out with the power nozzle, but I find original Electrolux braided hoses stiff and hard to use for regular cleaning. I vastly prefer the newer, more flexible vinyl ones. All that being said, more than a few people have reported success with the latex method, so I’m sure it works fine.

      Delete
  7. I am starting to downsize in preparation for selling my home and possibly moving in with my daughter. Is there a market for selling these older Electrolux machines and their accessories? I have quite a collection, and just wondered if there is any interest, and where the best place to post would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eBay is probably the best bet for selling a vintage machine. There is quite a market of collectors out there (including myself, of course), and you'd probably reach more with eBay than the local (i.e. Kijiji, Facebook) platforms. If your vacuum is in vintage, mostly or totally unaltered condition, you might do very well.

      Delete