Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Grandfather of My Collection

73 years old* and still doing what it was intended for? It must be an Electrolux vacuum cleaner. Presenting the ZB30, made in Canada by Electrolux Canada.



I bought this machine from a fellow collector; it came complete with an original, detachable power cord, and some of the original attachments. Best of all, it still works just fine. At 400 watts (about 3.5 amps, I believe), its amazingly quiet, and has more than adequate power on all bare surfaces. As seen in the pictures, I use updated attachments, and retrofitted an upright hose with the original ball bearing connector (Electrolux Canada used this connector on all their hoses right up to 1973, I believe).

This whole series of Canadian Electroluxes (the 30, 54, 55 [in three different versions], and 57) share the same body style, with gorgeous patterned designs on the main body, and bakelite ends. Bakelite, I believe, is an early form of plastic. The 30 is arguably the plainest of the lot, but its still a very nice looking machine. As seen in the pictures, the body covering has some rips, tears, and dents, but what can you expect from a septuagenarian vacuum cleaner?



Cord. It looks somewhat like an "old-school" kettle cord.



I find the current "bagless" vacuum trend somewhat amusing, considering how paper bags were such a revolutionary development, freeing the user from the need to empty out a dust container after every use. The 30 uses a cloth dust bag and gauze-like after filter (even in the 30's, Electrolux thought after filtration important!), and I empty the bag after every use. Is there really any difference in emptying a vintage cloth bag and a modern "dust bin"? I think not (obviously leaving out issues of performance and filtration on the respective machines).



I have to say, it really is heartwarming to see this beautiful ZB30 still ready to serve after so many years. I wonder how many current machines will have similar longevity?



*I'm in some doubt as to the exact age of this machine. Apparently, it was made from 1939 - 1949, and the year of manufacture can be read from the first digit of the serial number. In this case, the first digit is 9, so it COULD be from 1949. However, the last patent date on the information plate is 1938, and, in addition, my 1949 ZB55 shows various patent dates throughout the 40's, so I'm assuming this machine was made in 1939.



Now, purely for fun, a couple of pictures of the oldest and the newest, side by side, living together in harmony, and not arguing over which one is better! The basic design of Electrolux/Aerus machines hasn't changed radically over the years, has it?




2 comments:

  1. I needed to thank you for this phenomenal read!! I unquestionably adored each and every piece of it. I have you bookmarked your site to look at the new stuff you post. http://bestsharkvacuums.com/

    ReplyDelete