Friday, March 23, 2012

A Love of Dirt of Epic Proportions

Pity the Electrolux company didn't use a slogan like that...or perhaps they did, I don't know. At any rate, to continue the Epic theme, here are two more, both in white, gray, and red: the Epic 3500 upright and Epic 6500 cylinder.



The 6500 (Model C102G) is somewhat special to me, as I inherited it in 2002 from an aunt who had recently passed away. She bought it brand new in 1999 (traded in a Genesis upright for it), and I still have the original bill of sale and manual tucked away. My folks have been using it since 2002 as their household vacuum, although of late I do perhaps 99% of their cleaning, so it mostly gets used by me.

The 3500 (Model U110P) was bought from a local seller, who told me his mother had owned it, and since she had gone into a seniors' home some years ago, it had sat unused in his basement. I can believe it, as it looks showroom new. There is hardly a scuff, even on the power nozzle bumper, and everything is intact and in good condition, even the handle assembly, perhaps the weakest point of the Electrolux uprights. I bought the entire ensemble, including all the original attachments, caddy, Germ Grabber bags (that's going back a bit), and older Clean Sweep chips, for $80. It even came with the original bill of sale (bought in 1999).

Some impressions of the 6500:

I have to admit to not being much of a fan of the 6500 until relatively recently. I always thought they were loud, and burdened by clunky wands, not to mention the (perhaps) unnecessarily large top "deck". Luckily, one can always change one's mind, and I've really come to appreciate the entire Epic series of cylinders as excellent, basic, hard-working vacuums. Even though the wands and hose handle are certainly clunkier than the older style, they have the benefit of all internal wiring, a 180 degree swivel on the power nozzle neck, accessory on/off switch, and latch fit attachments. Also, the Sidekick and power nozzle can be used with one or two wands, or right on the hose handle, and the hose handle makes carpet cleaning a breeze.

The 6500 is noticeably more powerful than its Style C predecessors. The only motor difference I can see is in the fans: the 6500 front fan is smaller in diameter, but the blades are thicker. In fact, its very power is a hindrance sometimes, especially for delicate tasks. The suction reducer on the hose handle is too small, and the entire ensemble could have benefited from a variable speed motor. However, this is not a serious quibble. As for the sound of the motor and the top deck, I've grown to appreciate both.

Some impressions of the 3500:

In my two-tone gray 3500 post, I talked a little about my love of this series of uprights. The only difference, so far as I know, between the gray and white machines is the color and model number, unless something was changed internally. Being a little newer, and seeing considerably less use, the white 3500 still locks tightly into the upright position, whereas the older ones are a little looser (occasionally, when I pick up the gray 3500s by their handles, the power nozzle drops down, instead of staying locked). The white 3500 is somewhat more elegant looking than its battleship gray predecessor...in fact, Aerus seems to have gone back to this color scheme with their latest model lineup.

So, there you have it...the white, gray, and red Epic 3500 and Epic 6500. If I could only find the matching Epic 8000, I'd be in seventh heaven.




No comments:

Post a Comment