Friday, May 10, 2013

A Fairly Serious Makeover - Discovery III

In my previous post on the Discovery III, I indicated that the bearings were crapping out, and the handgrip was loose. Well, problems solved. After some time at the local Aerus emporium, the Discovery III has a brand new power handle and after filter, and has received a tune up. Naturally, I'm as happy as a clam (why are clams particularly happy?) that its back to full functionality and on regular cleaning duty.

Having its day in the sun, and showing off its improvements:



As soon as I got it home, it was Discovery III-ing the living room carpet, before you could even say "Aerus by Electrolux". The new handle is the standard Aerus replacement grey, with a rocker rather than slider switch; I prefer the rockers, incidentally. As far as I can tell, this handle was the one used on the Discovery II. One can either use the moulded-on cord hooks, or the bottom cord wrap, as one desires.

Moulded cord hooks:

Bottom cord wrap:



It's a pity that I couldn't have kept the original brown handle, but sometimes, originality has to be sacrificed to functionality and usability. The handgrip, as can be seen, is a more beige-y color than the rest of the handle, making the handle a possible candidate for a beige or brown painting.

Handgrip, outside:


Handgrip, inside:



Altogether, I'm quite happy with the Discovery III, and I'm sure it's good for many more years of cleaning. As can be seen in the last two pictures, I added a cord clip taken off another upright that I had hanging around. This keeps the cord from hanging down or falling off the upper cord clip. The only other improvement I might make is to replace the brush roll. The current one is as old as the machine (25 or 26 years?), even though its still in fairly good condition.




No comments:

Post a Comment